Global Product Strategy – Initiative for
the safe handling of chemicals
ALTANA is keen to support this initiative. GPS is one of many initiatives for the protection of human health and the environment launched by the ICCA (International Council of Chemical Associations). The initiative makes a key contribution to the Strategic Approach to International Chemicals Management (SAICM) of the United Nations. The ICCA is implementing the Global Product Strategy (GPS) as part of the Responsible Care initiative.
The aim of the GPS initiative – which should help to meet the SAICM objectives – is to reduce any negative effects on human health and the environment by the year 2020. Internationally similar safety standards should be produced – between developing, emerging and industrialized countries – to ensure fair competition.
Such internationally similar safety standards will strengthen confidence in the chemical industry, because the advantages of global implementation will look as follows:
• Improved protection of human health and the environment worldwide
• Improved conditions of competition (by aligning global safety standards)
• Better acceptance of chemical products and the chemical industry through improved credibility and trust
• Positive and active influence on chemical regulations, through a balance between legal regulation and voluntary self-commitment on the part of the industry
• Harmonization as a contribution to removing obstacles to trade (e.g. uniform creation of information materials and guidelines, workshops and continuing education)
Thus, the issue is one of sustainable development, effective chemicals management along the entire supply chain, greater transparency in commerce, and stronger harmonization of the national Responsible Care programs.