The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of more than 2.2 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ about 6,500 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. Around the world, the additives of BYK ensure that coatings and plastics obtain precisely the desired properties and the correct quality.
Lab Chemist - Applied Development Plastics (ADP)
Your task structure
The ADP Chemist will work within the ADP team to provide necessary technical services and technical development to the ADP Team.
- Responsible for compaction lab feasibility and optimization studies. Advise on scale up to pilot plant and production quantities
- Perform testing on competitive products, commercial products, and plastics samples as needed
- As needed, work directly with manufacturing to address production issues and process optimization
- Design experiments
- Author technical reports for internal and external customers
- Perform plastic processing, compounding and plastics forming
- Evaluate performance of additive formulations using plastics - processing and testing equipment and reporting data from such studies
- Responsible for shipping high-quality customer samples in a timely manner, in accordance with domestic and international regulations
- The successful candidate will write work instructions and Standard Operating P The successful candidate will interface with operations to translate successful lab-scale projects to production.
- Maintain laboratory equipment
- Responsible for working with, handling, shipping, ordering, and storing chemicals in a safe and environmentally-responsible manner as outlined in Safety Data Sheets, and in accordance with company and governmental regulations
- Special assignments, projects, and process improvement initiatives; as assigned by ADP management
Your recipe for success
- Working knowledge relating to chemical processes, plastic applications or laboratory applications
- Understand safety implications with respect to equipment, processes, and chemicals in the laboratory and manufacturing environments
- Highly skilled in the use of computer programs necessary for data entry and data analysis (e.g. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.)
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to drive self-directed projects to completion in a team-oriented collaborative work environment
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
- Able to travel both domestically and internationally
- Working knowledge of formulation ingredients and the processing of thermoplastics or thermosets is preferred
Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree in physical sciences is required.
- Practical experience in a lab or production setting is necessary.
- Ideally, two years of experience in industrial manufacturing and knowledge of the plastics industry.
- Experience with plastic processing technologies (extrusion, molding and testing) is preferred.
- Experience working with mechanical equipment is preferred.
- Experience with analytical lab testing, data analysis and presentations is preferred.
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs or to: firstname.lastname@example.org
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: US00506
Legal entity: BYK USA Inc.
Location: Earth City, MO
Area of operations: Anwendungstechnik / Technischer Service