The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of more than 2.2 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ about 6,500 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. Around the world, the additives of BYK ensure that coatings and plastics obtain precisely the desired properties and the correct quality.
Your task structure
This position is responsible primarily for providing EHS engineering support to the Wallingford Connecticut additives manufacturing plant as well as additional locations within the northeast. This includes internal and external environmental report submission, equipment design related to EHS projects, and data management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensures that all process operations are carried out in a safe manner and meet all regulatory and industry standards.
- Conducts calculations regarding emissions from production processes for state and federal EPA.
- Capable of developing dashboards using Data Analytics, like Spotfire, to evaluate data and generate reports for internal and external reporting needs
- Analyze wastewater reports and ensure compliance via troubleshooting if needed
- Identify and lead sustainability projects for the plant
- Provide training to operations personnel as needed.
- Provide technical assistance to operations and maintenance to optimize, improve and troubleshoot processes and process equipment.
- Analyzes, specifies, develops and recommends design approaches, and equipment modifications necessary to meet EHS needs in collaboration with the engineering department
- Assists in the investigation and corrective action in the event of an environmental incident
- Participates in emergency response as defined in the program and training capability.
- Provides leadership for establishing and maintaining a safe work environment. Proactively addresses and corrects all unsafe behaviors and conditions.
- Employee will be required to lift 50 pounds and carry it at least 40 feet (occasionally)
- Employee will be required to perform the following tasks frequently: overhead reaching, bending, squatting, stair climbing, ladder climbing, crawling, kneeling, and, stooping
- Employee will be required to work in confined spaces
- Must remain clean shaven and be capable of wearing SCBA and other types of respirators
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Your recipe for success
- Bachelor of Science degree in Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- 3-7 years of related experience in an engineering or EHS department.
- Experience in a Chemical or Liquid Manufacturing environment a plus.
- Must possess good communication skills, both written and oral, sound business judgment, strong interpersonal and technical skills and a professional demeanor.
- Must be able to effectively work with customers (internal and external), and to work well with people at all levels of the company.
- Familiar with EPA, CT DEEP, NY DEP, and OSHA regulations
- Familiar with PSM standards.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Knowledge of safety regulations and safe work practices used in the chemical industry including Process Safety Management.
- Knowledge of the operation of batch processes and associated auxiliary equipment used in the chemical industry.
- Understanding of US environmental regulations regarding handling and emissions of chemicals
- Ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently.
- Team orientated with good interpersonal skills and communication skills.
- Ability to organize and prioritize work in a timely manner and react well under pressure.
- Ability to write and maintain concise procedures and work instructions.
- Ability to communicate procedures in the training of operational personnel.
- Team oriented, experienced in communication, coordination and chairing of meetings
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: US00384
Legal entity: BYK USA Inc.
Location: Wallingford, CT
Area of operations: Environmental Health & Safety