The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of more than 2.2 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ about 6,500 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. Around the world, the additives of BYK ensure that coatings and plastics obtain precisely the desired properties and the correct quality.
Your task structure
Independently performs various laboratory functions to provide all necessary services for Wallingford Production. This includes, but not limited to supporting production improvement experiments, raw materials qualifications, new product introduction, customer complaints and deviation root cause analysis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design and perform chemical experiments in a safe and effective manner, with focus on the health of colleagues and the environment. Address, correct and report all safety concerns immediately to laboratory personal
- Support process optimization for existing products and scale up of new products
- Must be able to relay result from chemical experiments via informal/formal conversations, written reports, or presentations to a multidisciplinary audience
- Must be willing to travel to other ALTANA sites as necessary
- Provide lab assistance to the Wallingford production team to bring deviated production batches into specification
- Collaborate with QC, Engineering, Production and EHS as needed to
- Interface with laboratory, TPT and MPM staff at BYK-Chemie GmbH in Wesel, Germany on processes, problem solving, and new products.
- Maintain a clean and organized hood and desk
- Assist with maintaining up-to-date chemical inventory (create, log-in, log out and/or dispose of chemicals in the laboratory)
- Prepare and post SOPs and MOCs for lab equipment and experiments
- Handle all chemicals (and hazardous waste) according to procedure (able to read/understand chemical SDSs and handle chemicals accordingly)
- Participate in emergency response as needed.
- Maintain an orderly workplace.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be capable of lifting 50 lbs.
- 10% travel domestically and internationally
- Be able to work with chemicals
- Must be able to wear a respirator
Your recipe for success
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree; Master’s degree preferred.
- 3-5 years’ work experience preferred
- Good problem-solving abilities.
- Good communication skills.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Basic chemistry knowledge behind BYK additives produced globally
- Understanding of safety considerations and labeling procedures of chemicals in laboratories.
- Knowledge of 5S and writing SOPs for lab equipment/processes
- Problem solving skills and the ability to find solutions to batch deviations
- Ability to read and interpret an SDS
- Ability to design and conduct laboratory experiments.
- Ability to develop presentations and present them in a professional manor at internal meetings
- Ability to work in a safe and professional manner within the Wallingford lab and ALTANA locations.
- Ability to work in an individual and/or team environment to assist with production support topics, root cause analysis and raw material approvals.
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: US00385
Legal entity: BYK USA Inc.
Location: Wallingford, CT
Area of operations: Produktion / Fertigung