The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of 2 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ more than 6,000 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. You, too, can discover the special side of life with us. Bringing you many advantages.
The BYK division manufactures innovative additives as well as testing and measuring instruments for the coatings and plastic industry, and provides for surface gloss and scratch resistance. BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. BYK Additives improve the product characteristics and production processes. The BYK Additives UK is based in Widnes, Cheshire and is part of the BYK Additives & Instruments Division of Altana AG, a privately owned global leader in true speciality chemicals. The UK business develops, manufactures and distributed two major product groups of inorganic additives, Laponite® and Fulacolor/Fulcat®. In line with Altana’s long-term goals, the business is investing significantly in both R&D and asset capability to ensure the continuing growth of these globally successful products.
EHS Manager UK
Chartered member of IOSH and hold a Diploma in Health and Safety Management – NEBOSH
Your task structure
The role primarily exists to proactively develop and drive EHS performance across the site through:
- Providing advice to managers and employees on the management of all health, safety and environment activities.
- Being the face of EHS both to internal and external stakeholders through a hands on approach.
Additionally, the role will take some responsibility for group wide projects and as such, some UK and overseas travel will be necessary.
Within BYK Additives UK Ltd, EHS is a key line manager responsibility. The EHS Coordinator will provide support and advice to all line managers on the site:
- Confirming that day to day operations are carried out to the appropriate EHS standards.
- Ensuring regulatory compliance is maintained at all times.
- Take a lead in all EHS legislative and regulatory matters, liaising as the primary contact with external bodies such as HSE and EA as required.
- Owning, managing and continuing to develop the site’s ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 (transitioning to ISO 45001) and development towards other standards e.g. ISO 50001.
- Analysing complex EHS related situations, making key decisions and proposing / implementing solutions as appropriate.
- Liaising and coordinating with site managers to ensure they lead the activity on the site required to achieve the annual EHS objectives and targets required of the business.
- Establishing EHS process industry best practice on site by having regular links with key stakeholders e.g. CIA and Chemicals Northwest.
- Providing a visual approachable day to day EHS presence across the site, while supporting all site wide initiatives, from this perspective.
- Leading site wide cultural development and behavioural change initiatives to ensure EHS performance continues to move forward.
- Role model the behaviours expected from a leader and manager in a process industry.
Your recipe for success
- Be a Chartered member of IOSH and hold or be working towards a Diploma in Health and Safety Management – NEBOSH.
- Have an outstanding knowledge of the management of EHS systems, current and future EHS legislation and EHS regulatory bodies.
- Possess excellent communication and influencing skills at all levels both internally and with external regulatory bodies.
- Have a good breadth of experience in leading, supporting and advising at a senior and operational level in a process industry.
- Have the ability to work as an individual and be a good team player.
- Taking a flexible approach with an ability to lead in a changing and demanding business operation.
- Possess sound computer literacy skills using Microsoft Office, Safety recording systems couple with a competence in report writing and presentation skills.
- Budgeting cost control and knowledge of accounting principles.
- For the right candidate training in all the above will be provided.
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction. BYK Additives UK Ltd offers you a lot of advantages. They include an opportunity to work within a dynamic team in a successful business, a competitive salary package and excellent development opportunities.
We invite you to get to know us better and to discover your own personal special side of life. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobsFor further information, please contact:
Dan Weigh, HR Manager, BYK Additives Ltd., Tel +44 (0) 7970 178413
The closing date for all applications is 1st March 2019, and shortlisted candidates will be invited for a face to face interview in the first two weeks of March.
For further information on the company, visit our web site at www.BYK.com.
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: AW00156
Legal entity: BYK Additives Ltd. (UK)
Area of operations: Environmental Health & Safety