The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of 2.3 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ about 6,400 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. Around the world, the additives of BYK ensure that coatings and plastics obtain precisely the desired properties and the correct quality.
End Use Manager – Special Coatings NAFTA Region
Your task structure
Represents BYK in NA region as an expert in the technical aspects of the General Industrial Coatings, Powder Coatings, Coil Coatings and Can Coatings (called Special Coatings) markets. Has a primary business responsibility for working with strategic and key customers in this market. Helps develop and implement the objectives/strategy for this end use in NA. Coordinates all activities from Wesel and the Global End Use Manager for this end-use and supports the North American Paint Business Line Manager, Regional Technical Sales Representatives and Distribution. Supports Business Growth Opportunities (BGO’s) for this end-use. Leads the technical service Special Coatings lab in Wallingford, coordinating customer TSR’s, lab projects to improve market position and all other lab related activities.
This position requires regular interfacing with customers, internal sales, marketing and laboratory staff, as well as, effective communication with global colleagues. Developing new strategies and offering customized solutions for product development to key accounts. Monitor market trends, sales and competitive activity to drive business growth and seize opportunities. Assist customers with: product requirements, product recommendations, technical issues, and new product development projects. Act as a liaison between internal support departments and the technical group.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement strategy for Special Coatings in NA
- Lead and manage the Technical Service Laboratory for EU Special Coatings in North America.
- Affect the sales of BYK Paint Additives on a USA / Canada / Mexico basis
- Provide a high level of collaboration and support to the Global Special Coatings End Use Manager
- Render all required technical assistance to technical sales representatives and distribution
- Perform, on a routine basis, travel to all customers deemed major in North America
- Support sales team at key distribution accounts as required
- Monitor respective market and create accordingly: customer reports, budgets, reports on market trends, etc…
- Host annual Special Coatings end-use related customer seminars and/or in-house seminars as needed at key and strategic accounts
- Ability to motivate and manage people in an effective manner
- Ability to lead a technical team
- Communicate effectively with customers and coworkers
- Communicate cross-functionally within the BYK and ALTANA organizations.
- Must be able to drive a car and fly on a plane, coping with conditions of extensive, international and overnight travel
- Must be able to travel 40-50% and travel to BYK Wallingford at least 5 days a month
- Ability to speak technically about the respective markets.
- Ability to perform laboratory functions and assist customers in their labs as needed.
- Ability to prepare and present technical presentations
- Stay relevant within the NA Coil Coatings, Powder Coatings, General Industrial Coatings and Can Coatings industry/market; and, stay connected with key industry trade organizations and events like: NCCA
- Knowledgeable of the final Special Coatings end use customer(s) and their markets served
- Ability to “sell” Special Coatings technical service lab as a “calling card” to customers in order to strengthen partnerships with strategic customers.
- Aptitude to identify market needs or development opportunities of new additives in order to support strategic sales growth for BYK in both the NA & global Special Coatings additive market.
- Management experience
Your recipe for success
- Technical background in the respective fields
- College degree required
- Previous experience in general industrial coatings or powder coatings combined with liquid coatings
- Familiar with all additive markets served within the NA region
- Knowledgeable of General Industrial Coatings, Powder Coatings, Coil Coatings and Can Coatings customers and their respective markets served
- Awareness of global and regional trends in the Special Coatings end-use.
- Familiarity with Special Coatings related application systems: e.g. spray application such as airless and air assisted airless application, HVLP spray application, roller coat application, powder coatings process, typical Can Coatings applications, understanding of customer industrial application lines (Coil, Powder, Can) and baking and curing processes.
- Understands various Special Coatings related technologies and formulations: solvent-borne, high solids, 100% solids, water-borne, UV radiation cure.
- Understands usage of BYK products in majority of resin systems and application types used in the Special Coatings end-use.
- Familiar with competition and knows their strengths and weaknesses
- Understands global and regional requirements of customers and reacts accordingly.
- Good listener
- Strong oral/written communication abilities
- Ability to communicate benefits of BYK-Chemie products
- Ability to identify opportunities; and, overcome obstacles in order to find workable solutions
- Ability to manage time effectively
- Good interpersonal ability
- Inquisitive enough to promote BYK-Chemie
- Target oriented, structured working style
- Good organizational skills
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs or to: email@example.com
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: US00328
Legal entity: BYK USA Inc.
Location: Wallingford, CT
Area of operations: Verkauf & Außendienst