The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of around 2.7 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ more than 6,700 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. Around the world, the additives of BYK ensure that coatings and plastics obtain precisely the desired properties and the correct quality.
Chemist: Homecare and Industrial Solutions
Your task structure
Performs independent functions to provide technical services and customer support. Develop local formulations and product recommendations to support the sales and marketing teams. Primary focus will be on Household, Industrial and Institutional applications but there will be significant variety of work in other markets.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Perform Technical Service Request (TSR) and Laboratory Projects
- Maintain laboratory notebook
- Perform TSR on behalf of BYK USA Inc.
- Development of new starting formulations and new test methods
- Evaluate new additives or other formulation components (actives, binders, etc..) as directed by the Regional End Use Manager
- Coordinate with international colleagues to evaluate new R&D products in application specific formulas
- Reply to customer technical inquiries received by telephone/email
- Evaluation of competitive additive products
- Assist in preparation of sales meetings and trade shows (preparation of demonstration material, etc.) or other events
- Create report(s) of TSR performed
- Assist in product training, presentations and lectures
- Interact with international colleagues
- Occasionally work on-site at customer's lab, as required
Organize and keep operational the Homecare and Industrial Solutions Laboratory
- Take ownership of the Homecare and Industrial Solutions lab
- Maintain laboratory equipment in good working condition
- Specify and order new equipment as needed
- Perform routine daily maintenance functions (such as compliance, clean up, etc.)
- Order and maintain stock of raw materials
- Maintain contact with raw materials and equipment suppliers
- Handle hazardous waste according to procedure
- Follow emergency response procedures
Other duties and responsibilities:
- Up to 20% travel to present to customers and technical events around the country
- International travel required for onboarding and technical training – generally 2-3 weeks abroad (in Germany) within the first year of hire and 10 days a year annually thereafter.
- Prepare monthly reports of activities performed
- Other duties as assigned by management
- Must successfully complete various training according to job function and regulations (such as DOT, RCRA, ISO, etc.)
- Participates in laboratory site safety training, protocols and emergency response as directed
Your recipe for success
- Four-year technical degree and 10+ years’ experience in some aspect of household or industrial cleaning and/or floor care. Detergent, hard surface cleaning and floor care preferred. Consideration will be given to exceptional candidates with different experience.
- Good problem-solving abilities.
- Customer-, team-, solution-oriented thinking
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to learn new skills.
- Able to work independently without constant supervision.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Understanding formulation ingredients, application techniques and substrates for cleaning and care applications.
- Understanding of how formulations and application methods for household are different from industrial and institutional.
- Basic knowledge of general laboratory equipment and methodologies.
- Knowledge of test equipment and protocols for homecare products such as cleaners, surface care and laundry detergents.
- Understand the safety considerations, physical and health hazards associated with chemicals in the laboratory.
- Knowledge of computer programs necessary for generating reports and presentations (e.g. Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.).
- Ability to design experiments, measure and analyze data, and interpret the results.
- Problem solving skills and the ability to correct flaws in the customer’s process and formulations with BYK additives.
- Be an eager learner.
- Good listener with ability to transcribe conversations; be able to discern the difference between customer wants versus needs.
- Design and conduct laboratory experiments while determining the long-term implications of our additives in customer’s formulations, both to increase our position (for the additives) and decrease potential liability of changing customers’ formulations.
- Speak and understand the “language” used in the HI&I markets (including application equipment) increasing communication and building teams to understand the customer’s needs and capitalize on opportunities.
- Develop presentations and present them in a professional and concise way at sales meetings or in front of customers.
- Common sense awareness of safety and quality (ISO standards) in the lab and in the company
- Customer service skills for both written and telecommunication to relate and serve the customer.
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: US00541
Legal entity: BYK USA Inc.
Location: Wallingford, CT
Area of operations: Marketing & Vertrieb allgemein