The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of around 2.7 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ more than 6,700 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. Around the world, the additives of BYK ensure that coatings and plastics obtain precisely the desired properties and the correct quality.
End Use Specialist- Construction
Your task structure
To serve customers, or potential customers of BYK USA Inc. via additive recommendations derived through experience or through TSRs and projects. Maintain effective information exchange with the End-Use Manager. Perform necessary laboratory functions as per the job description. Visit customers on lab projects and support
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Outline, organize, perform and lead technical service experiments and projects for its assigned end-use(s), as approved by End-Use Managers.
- Review and modify technical service protocol from the chemists in the team.
- Mentor and train chemists on test methods and paint formulations.
- Draft reports of technical service experiments performed.
- Interface with laboratory staff at BYK-Chemie GmbH in Wesel, Germany on processes, problem solving, and new products.
- Must be able to relay technical information in informal conversation, written report, or presentation format to paints & coatings customers, raw material suppliers, BYK-Chemie employees and visitors to the Wallingford laboratory.
- Must be willing to travel to Wesel, Germany, on occasion, for training purposes. Must also be willing to travel to sales meeting(s), as necessary.
- Must be willing to travel to customers (up to 30-40%of their time) to present lab TSR’s, new LP products & Projects to customers in North America independently or with Sales Staff and End-Use Manager.
- Act as technical liaison to labs in Germany, Netherlands, US and Mexico.
- Must be willing to present and attend seminars and trade shows, as necessary.
- Order and maintain stock of needed raw materials for paints & coatings
- Interface with raw material suppliers regarding pigments, resins, and starting point formulations for paints & coatings.
- Guide chemists in the lab with project recommendations, SPF information and LP screening based on market experience.
Guide team to prepare demonstration material for use by our sales and distribution staff as directed by End Use Managers & Application Technology Specialists
Your recipe for success
- Four-year technical degree and/or approximately 10 years of practical experience.
- Paint technical service experience
- Good problem-solving abilities.
- Good communication skills.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of additives especially for Construction Chemicals.
- Construction Chemicals formulation experience
- Sales and business knowledge of Construction Chemicals market.
- Understanding of construction chemicals application methods
- Problems and defects encountered in construction chemicals formulation and application
- Knowledge of BYK-Chemie additives
- Knowledge of laboratory equipment (dispersion, rheology measurement, gloss & color measurement, spraying, etc.)
- Productivity/Quality: ability to complete thoroughly and accurately a certain volume of work in a timely fashion
- Ability to perform multiple tasks/projects with good planning, organizing and prioritizing
- Ability to work independently with minimum supervision
- Problem solving ability
- Medical, Dental Vision- Participation within the first 30 days of employment
- Company paid Short-term and Long-term Disability
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Competitive Bonus Potential
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement
- 401(k) with employer match
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: US00571
Legal entity: BYK USA Inc.
Location: Wallingford, CT
Area of operations: Produktion / Fertigung