The ALTANA Group develops and manufactures high-quality, innovative specialty chemical products. With us, you can help shape many important details of the world of the future. Our four divisions BYK, ECKART, ELANTAS, and ACTEGA have set worldwide standards in their markets. Our innovative products enable companies to develop technologies of the future today, technologies that make life easier, safer, and more comfortable. With sales of more than 2 billion euros, we are one of the world‘s most innovative, fastest-growing, and most proﬁtable chemical companies. We currently employ about 6,000 people who have good ideas for the world of the future. Discover your decisive plus for your future. Bringing you many advantages.
BYK Additives & Instruments is one of the world’s leading suppliers in the field of additives and measuring instruments. Around the world, the additives of BYK ensure that coatings and plastics obtain precisely the desired properties and the correct quality.
Senior Instrument Technician
Your task structure
This position provides electrical and instrumentation support to plant operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Install industrial wiring and conduit.
- Install, program, and troubleshoot motor control systems, including AC variable frequency and DC drives.
- Install instrument wiring and complete unit programming.
- Install instrumentation on various process equipment, including on level transmitters, pressure transmitters and flow meters.
- Calibrate process instrumentation, including setting high and low end points, setting the zero and span, validating flow rates and calibrating the linearity appropriate for the range measure, etc.
- Install hard wire interlocks between instrumentation and actuated valves.
- Setup, program, update, and troubleshoot programmable logic controllers (PLCs).
- Install, program, update, and troubleshoot touch screen panels.
- Keep all backup systems current.
- Keep all electrical maintenance and control computers software versions up to date.
- Setup new software on computer systems
- Wire and troubleshoot closed loop transmitter and transducer circuitry.
- Organize, order parts, and complete electrical projects per national electrical code and NFPA 70E requirements.
- Setup and organize new electrical projects.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose problems in the automation bagging area, including robot, scales and baggers.
Your recipe for success
- Able to read and understand schematics, manuals, and blueprints.
- Able to use a laptop and handheld computer to program and troubleshoot process instrumentation.
- A strong and diverse working knowledge of industrial equipment, including conveying systems, pumps, plant automation systems, gearboxes, blowers, motors, etc.
- A strong and current working knowledge of electrical maintenance related skills, such as instrumentation troubleshooting and calibration, PLC and HMI / touch screen troubleshooting and programming, Industrial controls wiring and electrical building maintenance.
- The senior level will additionally require: (1) an ability to work and complete all levels of tasks with minimal technical guidance from supervision, (2) a comprehensive working knowledge of plant PI&D drawings, plant operations, and plant controls, (3) an advanced ability to design, program, troubleshoot, and document PLC logic circuits and programs, and (4) demonstrated expertise diagnosing electrical, electronic, and instrumentation equipment.
- Must meet physical requirements defined by the company, such as:
- Must be able to lift 55 lbs. on a regular basis.
- Must be able to climb stairs, squat, kneel and use arms, hands and fingers on a regular basis.
- Must meet all visual requirements defined by the company.
- Must be able to work in a cold environment in the winter and hot environment in the summer months.
- Must be able to work around moving equipment.
- The shift schedule may be adjusted as necessary based on business demands.
An individual must be able to perform the duties and responsibilities successfully. The competencies, above, and requirements, below, are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the ADA.
- Successful candidate qualifications:
- A high school diploma or GED.
- An Associate degree in Instrumentation Technology or equivalent.
- A journeymen electrical license (a master electrician’s license is preferred) or equivalent.
- At least five years of electrical field experience, including at least three years in an industrial environment.
- Good industrial electronics knowledge, excellent combustion knowledge, excellent mechanical aptitude, excellent process control knowledge, excellent PLC and industrial control systems knowledge.
- A strong understanding and experience with Motor Controls, Pneumatics, PLCs, etc.
- Excellent computer skills – Word, Excel, Outlook; SAP work order system or comparable system.
- Excellent safety, attendance, and performance history.
- Must possess a High School proficiency level of mathematics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Must be able to read, comprehend and issue written instructions.
- A willingness to receive callbacks after normal working hours.
- Must be methodical, detail oriented, and possess the ability to multi-task.
Your spectrum of advantages
In the ALTANA Group, you will work in a unique culture of innovation where the utmost importance is attached to promoting individual ideas and abilities as well as open, trusting interaction.
We invite you to get to know us better and to become part of our team. Discover your career plus in specialty chemistry. Please send us your application, preferably via our jobmarket www.altana.jobs or to: email@example.com
ALTANA AG and its subsidiaries is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Job number: US00307
Legal entity: BYK USA Inc.
Location: Louisville, KY
Area of operations: Betriebstechnik / Instandhaltung